Thursday, January 29, 2009

Tuesday, Oct 21 (Samana, Dominican Republic)

Well, back on the ship, and I can say this about Samana: "Good-bye." Since the snorkeling trip I had planned did not happen, and there was not much time to do anything else, I just walked around the port. Looking at the street shops, the few stores there were, the numerous street hawkers trying to sell sea shells, (the obviously poorly) copied CD & DVD, the also numerous stray – wild dogs roaming around, I was glad to get back on the ship. We arrived in port about 1:00, and then they started to tender passengers ashore, those who were on ship sponsored tours first. I was on boat number three. I put foot ashore about 2:15. Enjoyed the sights, and got in line to tender back to the ship at 4:10.

Before going ashore, I was waiting in the waiting area, talking with a family from Cruise Critic: Mom & Dad, four boys (12, 10, 8, and 1 ½) and grand-dad. They home school, so I was eager to see how they did, and what they were doing on the ship. At home they are limited to two hours of TV a week. Here on the ship, no limit. We played '21 questions' for a while. The 10 & 8 year old were not too good on US geography. I was not too good on Star Wars trivia.

I had dinner with a couple (John & Nancy – Las Vegas) and another solo traveler (Nancy – Chicago) from CC. As I had jeans on, we went to the second main restaurant. It serves the same menu as the first main restaurant, but it does allow jeans for dinner.

No comments: