Monday, February 9, 2009

Tuesday, Oct 28 (Roatan, Honduras)

We docked a little early in Honduras. I looked out window and saw what looked like steady rain. Everything was wet, and people were walking around with umbrellas. I decided not to do the snorkel tour today. (I had not paid them, nor given any credit card number, I think.) So, I went back to bed. After a while the ship decided it was time for me to get up: "This is an announcement from the bridge. The ship will now be conducting a training exercise for the crew. This is only for the crew. Passengers should kindly disregard announcements and the ships alarm horns." Repeated in Danish. (I have noticed a very large Danish tour group.) Them alarm bells, "Code Bravo" alarms, "Engine Room starboard Code Bravo," Close all watertight doors, Close all fire screen door, man life boats, abandon ship, All clear. All preceded by the announcement to passengers to disregard, in English and Danish, then bells and horns. . . . So I decided it was time to get up, 10:00. Went out on the balcony. It was kind of cool, and windy , but the rain had stopped but everything was wet and I saw just as many passengers getting back on the ship as I saw getting off.

After lunch, I went ashore, for a while. While not as bad as Samana, Dominican Republic, this place did not have much to offer, onshore. Not much more that t-shirt shops and souvenir shops. After walking up and down the shopping street, the winds started to pick up. Some of the corrugated aluminum roofs of some of the buildings began to flap in the wind. Time to head back to the ship. I sat by the pool for a while, but it was too windy and cool.



In early evening I got my stitches removed. All went well. While waiting, I overheard the nurses talking amongst themselves and on the phone. I seems that there is a passenger who is "quite ill" and needs to be disembarked. The hospital wanted a deposit of $3,000 US before they would admit him, and the couple did not have that much cash, nor that high of a credit limit on their one credit card. They did have trip travel insurance that will cover the expenses, but not up front. The ill person has to spend the money and then get it back from the trip travel insurance.

After dinner and a ventriloquist show, I took a walk on deck 7. Windy. Each time the bow of the ship would splash back down into the water, the splash wave would stretch out for a good while. Even though I was up on deck seven, sometimes the water would hit me in the face. Ship's crew was removing all cushions from the deck chairs, and tying the chairs to the inside railing. During dinner, the waiters were using two hands to hold their serving trays, as well as walking side to side trying not to hit various tables. The ship had placed the 'motion sickness' bags all over the place, just in case.

No comments: