Thursday, January 29, 2009

Friday, Oct 24 (Aruba)

What a day!

We arrived in port on time. Had breakfast, real breakfast, and went ashore. I had booked a 'sail, swim, snorkel, swing' excursion in advance, not with the ship. Another lady and her daughter posted on Cruise Critic that they were going to go, but I did not see them offshore. I took a taxi to the beach, and went on the tour.

It was good, left on time. We stopped at three different places to snorkel. On the snorkeling in St. Thomas, my mask seemed to not fit just right and water was leaking in. Today I was in the water trying to adjust it, when the 'thing' holding my snorkel to the mask broke and my snorkel sunk to the bottom. I saw it once, but that was all. Back to the tour boat and I got one of theirs (mask & snorkel). It fit better, but still not perfect. We stopped at three different places to snorkel. The second was the site of a German freighter sunk by its crew at the start of WW II. They spent the whole war a 'prisoners' here on Aruba. (Not a bad plan on their part, if you ask me.) After we finished snorkeling, lunch was served, and then we got a chance to swing off a rope from the tour boat's forward mast and jump into the water. Most everyone did it. There was one kid, about seven, who they just could not keep of it. He did pretty well, when he could hold himself on the rope. A few times he was swinging too hard and fell off, but he enjoyed it. . . . (Oh, do not say "Rich, you should have known better.") I did it several times, well about six I think. I would say one time I think I hurt my pectoral muscle, but I don't think I have any. (Oh, might that be the problem?)


It was good, left on time. We stopped at three different places to snorkel. On the snorkeling in St. Thomas, my mask seemed to not fit just right and water was leaking in. Today I was in the water trying to adjust it, when the 'thing' holding my snorkel to the mask broke and my snorkel sunk to the bottom. I saw it once, but that was all. Back to the tour boat and I got one of theirs (mask & snorkel). It fit better, but still not perfect. We stopped at three different places to snorkel. The second was the site of a German freighter sunk by its crew at the start of WW II. They spent the whole war a 'prisoners' here on Aruba. (Not a bad plan on their part, if you ask me.) After we finished snorkeling, lunch was served, and then we got a chance to swing off a rope from the tour boat's forward mast and jump into the water. Most everyone did it. There was one kid, about seven, who they just could not keep of it. He did pretty well, when he could hold himself on the rope. A few times he was swinging too hard and fell off, but he enjoyed it. . . . (Oh, do not say "Rich, you should have known better.") I did it several times, well about six I think. I would say one time I think I hurt my pectoral muscle, but I don't think I have any. (Oh, might that be the problem?)



From there things got worse.

Took a taxi back to the ship, and typed up the above, and got it ready to send. I still had about 90 minutes until I had to be back on the ship, so I walked back out and into town (just across from the pier). Walked around looking for somewhere with Internet, but could not find any. Back on ship about 4:10, and dropped computer off in room and went to the pool to cool off and rest before dinner. There was a scheduled Murder Mystery Dinner tonight, for Cruise Critic. Swam in pool for a while, and then went into the hot tub, thinking it would help my sore muscle. After a while it was time to go, so I got out, almost. I was half way out, at the top of the hot tub, when I fainted. Just blacked out and fell over. Hit my head on something. I was only out for just one second, but that was enough for me to fall. As I was trying to get up, someone in the hot tub asked me if I was OK, saying it looked like I had fainted. I was able to sit down on the top of the tub and I turned around, going to say I was OK, I just needed to rest. The guy said Oh, you fainted, and cut your head. I stayed sitting there. He went and called for some medical help. After a while, he got me a towel to stop the bleeding. After what seemed like a long while, someone from the ship showed up with a wheelchair. I was able to make my way to it. A waiter went to the other side of the pool and got my stuff. They wheeled me inside and down to the medical center. It took a while there. They checked my blood pressure (it was back up to 108/68). A nurse looked at the cut and said she wanted the doctor to look at it. The doctor did, asked questions about how I was feeling. I was OK, I was able to walk around in the medical center fine, from waiting room, to exam room, to treatment room. Doctor cleaned cut, well, and said I needed stitches. Off to treatment room where I got three stitches. He said come back in five days to have them removed. They checked my blood sugar (95). The cut is about one inch above my left eyebrow. As I type now, after dinner, it is kind of swollen. I made it back to room, and kind of washed hair, and got dressed for dinner. I got to the dinning room a little late. I found the group, one table still had an opening. They had ordered food, but had not yet started the mystery. One guy there was going to take two roles. He gave me one of the roles. Turns out, I was the killer. It went well. After dinner I just went back to room, and put some ice on the cut. After a movie on TV, bed.



No comments: